Saturday, August 22, 2009

The Delivery and Coming Home

So our little man is FINALLY here. We arrived at the hospital on Tuesday morning for the C-section at 8:45 am and by 10:42 Leo was with us. It was so surreal to walk into the OR knowing I was moments away from meeting my son. Here is my final Belly Shot:
From Belly Shots


The C-section went great and there were no real complications. Now, everyone I knew that has had a C-section told me I would feel some pressure during the procedure. So there I was, laying in this ice cold room, waiting to feel something going on in my abdomen. Charlie was peering over the drape so I told him I couldn't feel a thing and asked if they had started yet. He told me no, they were still prepping me, but I could tell from the mischievous look in his eyes that he was lying! Sure enough, a few minutes later I heard Leo's first cries. The doctor had to use forceps to get him out though - he was jam packed in there!! They even tried using a vacuum, but his head was too big and the seal kept popping off.

The first thing I said when I saw Leo, was "Look at all that hair!!". The second thing i noticed were his perfect little pouty lips. It was literally love at first sight.

He measured in the 90th percentile for length and weight. All of his initial tests showed nothing less than a perfectly healthy baby boy; talk about a blessing!

We stayed at the hospital until Friday the 14th. Leo did lose a bit more than 10% of his body weight at the hospital (at discharge, he was down to 7 lbs, 15 ounces. the majority of his weight loss happened the second day he was here, he had amniotic fluid in his tummy and was not very interested in eating), so we were ordered to see our pediatrician on the following Monday. Otherwise, everything looked great. It was so exciting to bring our son home.

The first weekend went well. We were very lucky to have Charlie's parents here to help with meals (For those of you that don't know, Charlie's mother, Tami, is an EXCELLENT cook). My parents came by on Saturday to take Leo's first professional pictures (which turned out quite adorable!) and a number of friends came by to visit the newest member of the Schreiner family.

Charlie and I are just in heaven. Of course, we are sleep deprived, but it's all worth it. Leo is amazing and it's fun to watch him growing before our eyes each day. We know we are blessed to have our little bundle of joy here in our arms. Welcome home Leo!


From Leo - 1st month



From Leo - 1st month



From Leo - 1st month

4 comments:

Laura said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Laura said...

Um, from now on, you're not allowed to post a blog entry without pics of the chubby faced one... :)

Cynthia said...

Ok, Laura...pictures have been added. :)

The DougFish said...

Oh my gosh! Why am I just seeing these new pics?! :/ Ah well, I just really need to see your ENTIRE site next time I come back for updates. :) You looked great on delivery day!